Did you know that about 1.8 million children under age 5 die every year due to diarrheal diseases across the globe that cause from lack of hand hygiene.Most of the infectious diseases are transmitted from person to person through hands.Knowingly and unknowingly we touch hundreds of places and objects per day that may have been touched by an already infected person.
Thus the main and most common step that can be taken towards preventing infectious diseases is washing hands.There are obvious from which germs can get intact with your hands.
- Using Public toilets
- After touching common objects like door knobs,handrails, table tops etc.
- Changing diapers
- Through contaminated food and water
- From air droplets that get released through coughing or sneezing
- Through pets
Eyes,nose and mouth are the most common places from which germs can go into the body.We touch eyes,nose and mouth at least 50 times a day without even realizing it.
Feces is one of the main sources(animal or human) that spread germs that diarrheal,gastrointestinal diseases and respiratory infections.Handling raw meat that has a considerable amount of animal poop,can also cause such illnesses.
Preventing illnesses through hand sanitation can reduce the amount of antibiotic intake which benefits in a long term basis.Through researches it has proven that hand hygiene can protect every 1 out of 3 kids from diarrheal infections and every 1 out of 5 kids from respiratory infections like influenza.
The global estimated rate who wash hands after using the toilet is only 19%.Therefore we must not only get educated on this matter but also pass down the message to everyone we know.
Correct hand washing process
- Wet your hands with clean, running water (warm or cold). Make sure the water isn’t too hot for little hands.
- Use soap and lather up for about 20 seconds
- Make sure you get in between your fingers, on the backs of hands, and under the nails where germs usually remain hidden . And don’t forget the wrists!
- Rinse and dry with a clean towel.
Important tips to be mindful about
- Use running water – Using water in a basin can be unfavorable at times as stagnant water has a higher possibility of getting contaminated.
- Hot water is better – How water works well with soap than cold water.Yet be careful when using hot water to wash your child’s hands.
- Soap is a must – Using soap when washing your hands is a must because water alone cannot wash away all germs.Soap can also can differ from one another in PH value;neutral,slightly alkaline or slightly acidic.So make sure you buy handwashing products that won’t cause skin irritation.Moreover,liquid soap is considered to be better than soap bars as they are uniquely designed for the hand washing process itself.
- Take care of your hands – Skin is the best and the biggest barrier you have against bacteria.Hands can get too dried out due to excessive use of soap.Therefore make sure your skin is properly moisturized often to avoid irritations.
Use dettol hand wash,soap and hand sanitizer on a regular basis to maintain good hand hygiene and say no to bacterial infections.Visit Daraz Avurudu Wasi today for Shocking discounts and deals.